Wednesday 12 February 2014

From biking to hiking

Thursday 30th January

Today I had a slightly contrasting day to the last two and spent much of it alone. I wanted to hike up Menengai Crater which is a huge Calderon that overlooks Lake Nakuru and the National park. I felt good that my arm was strong enough for my first bit of strenuous exercise in 3 weeks.  I'm still in a sling but my legs are fine so I had no problems with hiking.

I wasn't totally sure how far the viewpoint was from the main road and evidentially nor were the locals. The first sign said 2.4km the next sign said 7km. I asked a man who was standing underneath the 7km sign how far (for comedic effect on my part) and he said 5km so either way I was pleased I had a backpack with food and water just in case the hike turned into a marathon.

The path was a rocky road to the summit that weaved through small farms and villages. The sun was beating down but there was a nice breeze that prevented me from melting completely. After about 30 minutes of walking I asked somebody how far to the viewpoint, 1km she said. I walked a further 20minutes and asked another person, 5km. I don't know why i bother asking sometimes but it does provide me with some entertainment. Just a few minutes later I reached the viewpoint, thats my kind of 5km!

When I got to the top the view was well worth the hike. I love the sense of satisfaction when overcoming any obstacle but I especially love getting to the top of a climb if there's a decent view at the top. Despite being in Nakuru for over 3 weeks now, I haven't really had much time alone to take in where I am. As I overlooked the huge crater I took some time to eat some Pringle sandwiches and really take in how far I've come. When i think about what I've been through so far and read back my blog as I've forgotten most of it, it seems more of a roller-coaster reading my life then living it! I feel sorry for my family and friends and the conditions of their heart! 

The mental barriers are the hardest to climb for me. Just like when I was stuck in Addis Ababa and had a struggle to get out of Ethiopia, I have a similar mental block with Kenya. The block this time maybe due to how comfortable I am right now and despite finding it very hard to picture myself in Tanzania, I know I just have to keep going.

I returned back home feeling happy to have worked up a healthy sweat. Team Norway had also had equally successful days in their own way and we finished the day off with a relaxing evening at home. 

It's very easy to think about the end when doing a trip like this and I obviously can't wait to see my great family and friends but I know that the celebration period will not last long. Everyday I try to appreciate my ride, where I am and who I'm with. Today was a day where I didn't have to try, the view made it quite clear that I'm in an amazing place with amazing people and how I got here is pretty amazing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment