Friday 28 February 2014

Wet break

Thursday 20th February

I annoyingly woke up quite early for breakfast but I didn't mind, today's plan was to spend it sleeping on the beach. After a very social breakfast I was then given a lift nearer to the beach by the Camp's van that was taking 6 of the volunteers off to camp in Tsavo.

I had cycled through Tsavo, its where I almost got stampeded by Zebras but I'm told other volunteers have seen elephants and cheetah there. A bit gutted now I didn't stay there for the night but I can thank Nigel and his temperamental back wheel for that.

I left the van and got a quick motorbike ride to the beach. Some things you take for granted in Africa and that's the ability to get anywhere quickly via public transport. Instead of waiting for buses and trains, there are motorbikes and tuktuks waiting for you!

I set up camp at Forty Thieves and awaited the sun to come and beat down on me as I slowly drifted off to sleep with the sound of the sea. What actually happened was the grey clouds blew overhead and rain began to fall. Typical! My first day off on a beach and I've had to retreat inside to watch the Winter Olympics.

After a few hours I took a walk along the beach. It really is very beautiful but I'm sure I would get bored quite quickly. There weren't many restaurants or bars on the beach and other resorts were open only to residents. I did manage to get myself into one of those swanky resorts however and it was very nice. Not sure how much it cost to stay the night but I would bet Nigel that it cost more than my budget of £10 a day!

It got to around 6 o'clock and I decided to head back to camp. I found myself actually looking forward to meeting back up with the others to hear how their day went. On the way back I stopped at a cycle shop to see if they had an adaptor for my new inner tubes, no luck. At the moment I have three brand new inner tubes that can't be pumped up, just hoping my current patched tube will get me to Dar!

After dinner we all sat around a chatted again. The group was down to 7 but they all got on really well. I felt comfortable there and I could've easily stayed a couple more nights. Got to push on though and tomorrow I will be entering Tanzania!!!!

Like getting to Addis Ababa, clearing Kenya has been a huge mental block for me. I don't know why but I've really struggled to see myself south of Kenya and now I'm just a day away from entering my 18th country, dreams are becoming realities!

No comments:

Post a Comment