Saturday 17 August 2013

A insight to mainland France

Thursday 15th August

Not much to report today compared to my previous events. A horrible head wind made it tough going all day and the temperature is getting hotter the more in land I go. Found out today that cycle paths are not just for bicycles they are for most two wheelled vehicles! On a nice wide path digging into a hill with my head down I looked up to see a moped heading straight for me! Note to self, keep your head up! 

Took some time to take in mainland France today and have made these findings: For some reason everything is closed, my dreams of cycling through little villages in the morning through amazing smells of freshly baked bread and croissants has been systematically destroyed as all i get is farm smell and not even so much as a corner shop is open, there must be some holiday explanation for this.

If you like farming then mainland France is your Disneyland, with corn fields one side and haystacked fields the other. In the morning the smell can be quite fruity with the rising heat but in the evenings your senses will come alive as the sun sets, today it was strangely pumpkin and vast lavender fields. Incidentally the senses in your behind come alive aswell after the constant agony of what can only be described as sitting on a rusty clothes mangle for 6-7 hours, sometimes you'll get a nice pinching sensation which means its time to stop and find a place to camp up!

During lunchtime hours I've tried to stop in so called "towns" for a nap and some food. People tend to stare at me and for this I don't judge them. Today you would find me past out next to a McDonald's drive through fingering garlic cream cheese onto half a baguette, I didn't care though, had free wifi!

Managed to find another farm to camp up in. Eric was the guys name, looked like Phil Mitchell, again he didnt speak any English which I expected as I guess not many blokes from West Country speak French but slept well ready for another day...

Camping ground at the wind farm 

No comments:

Post a Comment