Tuesday 13 August 2013

To the white cliffs!

Monday 12th August


Today was my first day alone, yesterday was good to ride with Mike and meet the guys in Brighton but it just prolonged the eventual loneliness. Had a good sleep in the grounds of Pevensey Castle and was so tired after a 100 mile ride I couldn't careless about the voices I heard outside my tent at night.



Today was welcomed with aching legs, a sore bum and some very steep hills which will be good training for the Alps and parts of Africa. Made it to Dover at around 6pm so well ahead of schedule as my ferry isn't until 3pm tomorrow.

Have come to realise a few things so far. Road cyclists don't wave to touring cyclists no matter how happy your "hello" is, hobnobs are even better after you've cycled 40 miles to eat one, truck stops are excellent resting places for cyclists not just lorry drivers and cobble streets are a sore bum's WORST nightmare!

Other than that all is good and just have to find a place to stay tonight, if only the beach wasn't stoney!

Tuesday 13th August

Found a nice place to sleep last night over looking the beach next to a fellow homeless man. Many worries could've ran through my head like what if my stuff is stolen, what if im attacked, how can i honestly do this for another 6 months but realistically i have a much darker issue to contend with. My sleeping bag absolutely stinks to the point that i would rather brave a cold nose then to fully submerge my head in the worst of all dutch ovens!



The bench was hard but probably better than the beach and when i positioned my backbone inbetween two slats it was actually a good night sleep. The man's snoring was quite therapeutic unlike the flash from the lighthouse glaring at you every 5 seconds! Woke up to a beautiful sunrise and some screaching seagulls and just waiting for the ferry now before I turn hello's into bonjour's and anything else into palle vu anglais?

First day drama

1 comment: