Friday 25 April 2014

Happy chappy in Palapye

Sunday 6th April

I woke up to another grey day, "what's all this about? I didn't sign up for this!" I was still pretty tired and I was cold but I wasn't back in England, I was in Botswana and I had over 100 miles to cycle. The distance and the weather was really putting me off, it already felt like the evening and so my motivation to put the miles in today against a nasty headwind was lagging somewhat.

Thankfully the road was good so I just had to knuckle down and eventually the headwind dropped and I began to make good progress. The ride got even better as the main road had been newly built but the old road still existed and wasn't used at all so for over half the day I coasted along a road that I could enjoy all to myself.
It was on this road I had another one of those "eyes closed" moments and as the sun made an appearance and softly warmed my back I had seemed to teleport to a different country than I woke up in.

I spotted a football match on the other side of the road and saw a line of football shirts hung out to dry along the fence which I thought would be a perfect "Kodak moment." I was having a very chilled and relaxing ride and i just wanted to briefly stop, take the shot and continue with my great ride. This was far to much to ask for though as instead I had to get shouted at, waved at, laughed at and stared at by the locals. It was at this point when I thought, why?!! I mean I thought this before but it annoyed me today. Why do Africans feel the need to shout anything and more annoyingly shout things that you don't understand, expect you to understand, give you a weird look or laugh at you. WHY?! Sometimes the English mentally of keep yourself to yourself and don't speak to anyone in the street is a much more favourable option of mine! It's like I'm a cat and the Africans are birds. I can't walk anywhere without their incessant squarking!!! Just let this Lion take an artistic sneaky picture you annoying Crows!!!

Anyway, I got back to my private road and the tailwind stayed with me until I reached Palapye. I absolutely blitzed the second half of the day, it must've been the Biltong/Biscuit combination I had for lunch. I even shrieked out a woooohoooo I was having such a good ride and the day was capped off nicely with a very cool campsite. The facilities of the campsite were completely uncovered and privacy only went as far as a well planted and tamed spiral wall of bush. The fixtures and fittings were all as you would find in a "Changing Rooms" bathroom only everything was outdoors so if it rained (which it did very lightly) you would find yourself getting very wet whilst sat on one of Armitage Shanks finest thrones with nothing but tropical plants surrounding you.  

I managed to Skype home and really commence the countdown. Just 8 days to go and if the last 8 days are all like today then I will not want this ride to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment