Thursday 10 April 2014

Taking it Zambezi

Sunday 30th March

Today its fair to say I was feeling a little delicate. It was Mothers Day back home but the one job I gave myself to wish my mother Happy Mothers Day over Skype i couldn't do as the hostels Internet had crashed.

The next job was to get some more rest so I slept through to the afternoon. I walked around to Julia and Emma's gaff to see if they were in and still up for going out for a meal tonight but they hadn't returned from their adventure day so I left a note with one of the workers. I didn't have high hopes at all for the note actually being passed on but it was no biggy if it wasn't, I was always going to try out the crocodile anyway!

I picked up a few more lads from the hostel and Michael joined aswell so the 5 of us walked down to Cafe Zambezi for some Crocodile Ribs that Andrew from Lusaka had recommended I should have. We stopped to see if the girls had received my message and amazingly they had!!! We had a drink at their place (Fawlty Towers) which is also a very cool place to stay if your heading to Livingstone. If i had known they did free tea and coffee all day and pancakes at 3pm everyday then I may've been more of a "Jollyboy" staying there!

Cafe Zambezi was a short walk from there and to be honest, I was just happy being surrounded by people. As much a I love being alone and have loved this ride, this weekend felt like an early finishing gift and the gift was the amount of social interaction I received. From Jo and Jenny to Team Vic Falls to Dan and Camii toTeam Norway #2 and now what would be a leaving meal for a lot of us, this weekend was just a real treat from beginning to end. We all went very traditional and had fried caterpillar to start. I wouldn't rave about them to be honest but I will always try food like that once. 

The crocodile was decent, ribs aren't always the best food of choice when you have a bush on your face but luckily I wasn't on a first date and wasn't out to impress so I got well and truly stuck in. Dinner conversation was hilarious as we went around the table throwing out animal facts. Andrew was a well of knowledge and is also going to Rio so probably won't be the last I see of him but the best reaction was from Michael when I said that "sharks will only attack you when you're wet" I got a few laughs and a while past before Michael said "...is that true?" Ah, i guess you had to be there!

After a decent feed we said our goodbyes and went back to our hostels. I could've easily stayed another night and partied some more but I had to be disciplined and hit the tent, all good things have to come to an end ay!

Tomorrow I  head for Botswana, its just a short ride over the Zambezi but its progression and its another country to tick off.

No comments:

Post a Comment