Thursday 12 September 2013

Beaches to Bushes

Sunday 8th September 

Have you ever woken up to a constant sound or noise that has become a theme tune to your dream then consequently woken you up? I had this twice, once last night and once this morning, that both combined with the smelly seaweed really has put a downer on my whole dream beach sleep idea.

Last night when all the riff raff had left the restaurant and I eventually got to sleep I had a constant murmur of a noise similar to gargling. I cant remember what I was dreaming about but it must've gone on for about an hour and I eventually woke up to find a tiny boat with an outboard motor buzzing around the shoreline with a massive search light. I thought, here we go. The search light stuck on me and blinded me like just before the aliens shoot the White House in Independence Day. I rolled over to face the smelly seaweed and prayed the light would just go away. To my surprise it did! But that didn't stop it from continuing its search for at least another hour after unfortunately. I haven't a clue what was going on, either the captain was looking for Nemo or I had just rolled over during a massive drugs pick up that I could've single handedly stopped by calling the police and possibly getting a monetary reward! Either way I was tired and so you can imagine how I felt when I was woken up to dream tune number 2 at 6 o'clock this morning. I could here a comedy/cartoon style mosquito noise. You know the sound of a bird-sized mosquito that zips past your ear but you can never catch it. Well at first it was on my left then on my right then to my left again, back and forth it went for ages. So whilst trying to sleep I'm hitting out at my handlebar bag/pillow. It's not dying so I think maybe its stuck behind my head so I start head banging the handlebar bag/pillow. I eventually open my eyes and ears to the bush by my head that I had so cleverly hidden behind for cover. This bush turned out to be an absolute haven for pollinating bees and I am woken up to the sound of around 20 bees buzzing around my head! No wonder I couldn't swat the little thing I thought! There were tons of them! So in the end my Dream Beach sleep was well and truly ruined by a combination of 3 nosey large people, some very smelly seaweed, a couple of Cuban drug lords working on the Croatian coast and some busy little bees. Well at least I was safe I thought, where's my broken baguette and choc duo for breakfast?

Food played a big part in today's proceedings. I had a whole/broken baguette at 6am, then a couple of cereal bars at 10 then at 12 I ate another whole wide baguette with choc duo again! You could say I was "blooming" hungry! I don't know how many calories I'm burning a day but in this sun I'm guessing its a lot so I can eat what I like and not really worry about it. At 12 I ate something I didn't really want to eat as well though. After the mass bread intake I began to feel very tired, my poor night sleep may of had something to do with this also. I decided to have a rest on a beach for a few hours to recharge the batteries. I laid down and could feel myself dropping off so I put on the lotion and attempted to open the lip balm. Sweaty hands plus stupid tiny pots combined with no nails makes it impossible to open lip balm. I used what I have to use in most cases involving difficult packaging. I laid back and very carefully opened the little circle tin with my teeth making sure I got nothing in my mouth. I did this expertly but as I went to grab the tin from my mouth my clumsy sweaty hand knocked the pot and the whole melted tin of balm shot into my mouth. I sat bolt upright spitting it out causing a slight public stir which soon calmed down as I cleaned my mouth out with water and my filthy t-shirt. By doing this I have discovered that Lip balm maybe a sedative as I then fell asleep for a good hour or so.

I woke up ready and raring to go again. It was around 2pm and still had around 30 miles left. As I rode just off the coast heading more inland, the environment changed completely. All of sudden the mountain areas opened up and just a couple of miles from the coast, I experienced my first sightings of Croatian farmland. It reminded me a lot of Asia and their wetland paddy fields. The fields were sectioned off by water also but were just growing different things. The roadside stalls were wooden shacks of fruit and veg and I had to try and find a dry field for the night.

I set upon an area which is my most undercover spot to date. I don't know whether its a little adrenaline rush I get from finding a spot where I can't be seen but I can hear the foreign language only a few feet away or not, I just like the "den" aspect I think. I found a spot under a tree, the other side of some long grass on the corner of what I thought was a very quiet t-junction. Job done. Had dinner etc and settled for the night only to hear that typical noise of a barking dog. Great! Another sleepless night!

No comments:

Post a Comment