Thursday 19 September 2013

Greekish delights

Wednesday 18th September

I really did not want to wake up this morning. I was looking forward to another incredible breakfast but it was what was coming after that I didn't really want to happen. The breakfast as it was yesterday was exceptional and I again made the most of it. I headed back to my room for a little nap as I wanted a relaxing ride today and my 60mile aim was out the window, I just wanted to end up facing the right direction.

I packed the bags, checked out dead on 12 and looked at my compass for east. The roads are in blocks here but there are a few diagonals that helped me with getting out of the city in the right direction. I cycled for an hour mostly uphill and was not happy with where my road was taking me. Thessaloniki is orientated quite strangely with regards to the sea and where I wanted to go. I found myself heading north alongside an army base but I wanted to go east! I just kept pedalling anyway as there was no other way around it, I wasn't going back!!! Eventually I got to the top of the hill and Greece had kept a little surprise for me. Throughout this ride there are always little things that make me feel alive and keep me realising why I'm doing this crazy journey. Sometimes a song, sometimes an act of kindness, today Greece gave me an amazing panorama overlooking a dried out lake, another lake and a very enjoyable descent down towards it! I was back! The feeling was back, the energy was back and the disappointment of leaving such a great city was eased with excitement of finding a fresh one!

The new camera helped as I can really capture my experiences in the way I want to now so I'm happy about that too. One thing I wasn't so happy about was the 3-4 foot long dead snake that I rode past, initially thinking it was a piece of hosepipe. I've held snakes before, massive ones as well,  it's just the thought of walking up to one that gets me. As I was thinking about this, it seemed I had set off a domino effect of noises coming from the bushes as I rode past. There were no noises before I saw the snake but now, now there's noises every 5 metres and one especially almost made me suck the saddle right off the bike as I jumped up!

The pace naturally increased because of this and with the good flat roads the miles were soon put away. It turned out I was right all along with my directions and it was just me getting a little impatient with heading north as I thought I had to east earlier then I could. I cycled past the lake on my left and before I knew it, the sea had popped up on my right! All I have to do now is follow the coast around. I stopped at the beach along with lots of camper and and swarms of gnats!!! It was horrible, you could be cycling along and the next thing you know it's like somebody has chucked a handful of rice at your face. I used to spit out any bugs that ended up in my mouth via an unfortunate yawn or during the big notes when I'm singing in full flow. Now though, if you're in my mouth, its your fault, you're getting eaten. Some of them have been pretty meaty also, for those I just get the water ready for the wash down. 

I noticed two cycle tourers so walked along the beach to see them. They were a couple from Italy cycling to Istanbul like myself and they had been to very similar places already as me. We could've continued to ride together but I don't know why I just wanted to head off on my own. So they showed me their map and I showed the lady the picture of the snake I had taken and then I left with her looking considerably worried about camping in the area!

A few miles further another cycle tourer from Germany was coming the other way, we had a quick chat and then carried on. That's three I've seen I thought and I'm seeing more road cyclists. It's because of the roads, you only see road cyclists on good roads. Its a sign like when cows lay down its going to rain and when a girl says shes "fine" it means you've got lots of making up to do, when you see road cyclists you know that good roads lie awaitng! They weren't roughing it Montenegro and Albania were they? oooh no but now the conditions are ok out they come with their fast bikes and inability to nod back at you!

Anyway, I found a little rocky road leading to the end of a beach. Happy days I thought and I set up camp there. The water was gently flowing up and down, the sun setting to my right, not too many flies around, just bliss. Three fisherman then turned up but I actually did mind, it gave me something to watch as I cooked my pasta. 

Greece is providing me with some amazing experiences and i hope tomorrow will be the same. A very relaxing time spent over the last few nights, in a Hotel and now on a beach. This time I'm in a tent on the beach so lets hope there's no busy bee wake up call!

No comments:

Post a Comment