Tuesday 24 September 2013

Home is still where the heart is

Friday 20th September

I made the decision last night that I was going to stay another day in the campsite and see how my stomach developed. I probably had the best sleep to date, the morning slobber on my mat would suggest that anyway. You know you've had a good sleep when you have to peel your face away from whatever you passed out on!

Toilet monsters struck this morning but as standard I openly strutted over to the showers unnoticed again. It's probably a good thing the campsite isn't in peak season as I'm sure I would've been kindly ask to leave by now or if the owner is anything like the hairball yesterday, physically chucked out completely.

I laid in my tent frustrated, the two things that I've been doing so well with the last month, (cycling and eating) I couldn't do either! I didn't want to waste the day despite it being overcast so I decided to walk into the town to buy some baby wipes or toilet roll and at least have a look around. After about 200 metres I got fed up of walking and it soon became apparent that there was nobody around, nothing to see and nothing to do. I managed to find baby wipes as they were helpfully packaged in English and I bought myself a chocolate croissant. Surely a few cereal bars and a chocolate croissant will be alright.

I returned to the Ghost site and sat alone on the private sandy beach. Even though it was overcast, it was still warm and the sunny was trying in patches to break through. Twiddling my thumbs, I went on the Internet for a bit, did a few arrow words and listened to some music. When bored I want to eat, when my body thinks its burning fat I want to eat and when I shouldn't eat all I can think about is eating!

I turned to thinking about home and family in more depth as I had more time on my hands. Hopefully when I get back I will have two nieces waiting for me in England. My sister's child will be a 1 yr old and I haven't even held her yet. My best mate's, I was lucky enough to see in hospital before I left as she was premature but now she's going strong in her new house I can't wait to see them both. Above anything and anybody that I left home, the thought of seeing them properly is really helping me through the tough riding.

I know it's only going to get a lot tougher so its good to have two great reasons to fight for as well as your regular family and friends that are supporting me brilliantly throughout. I noticed today that my ride distance has exceeded the money raised so far. I was hoping this wouldn't happen until I at least got to Africa so this is the only time I will include it  in my blog. 

To those reading this that have already supported then thank you so much and please do not stop telling people about it. I know a few people have family conversations about my blog and others have their office talking about it so if that is you then I'm pleased you're enjoying it. 

If you're enjoying my blog then please tell as many people as possible. Tell your boss, tell the guys at the gym and tell your family. My aim to raise a pound a mile I think is possible but it does need a lot of help from the people reading this blog to maybe go that little bit extra and do something that can add to that total. I'm surprised my mates haven't started doing a sweepstake on when they think the next spoke is going to break or when the next entry about poo will be!

Apologies if you wanted more stories on cycling, snakes and supermarket tantrums but I'm only mentioning this once as today has been a quiet day on the beach. The support I'm reading about is really helping so thankyou for that but I'm certainly not going to be able to do it without everybody's input into reaching that £10,000 target so please do everything you can, cheers.

I finished off today with a small spaghetti meal (by 5pm i was in pain at how hungry and bored i was so had to do something) and a read of Ray Mear's Bushcraft. I felt very outdoorsy as I read his book with the sound of the crickets in the bushes whilst being bitten to shreds by midges. My candle does nothing to get rid off the pesky biters it just makes it look like I've set myself up a romantic meal for one every night!

Back on the road tomorrow. I have no specific destination, just want to make up some decent miles so a no stopping day most likely. The more stops I make the more insane I seem to go also. Not only does it give you more chance of losing things but I've freaked out a few times as I've set off because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt! I blamed that on the crazy Croat and Montenegrin drivers though.

Sleep well

No comments:

Post a Comment