Monday 9 September 2013

Carry on 'wild' camping

Friday 6th September

A surprisingly good sleep followed by the realisation that my fingers just aren't long enough to get all the way to the bottom of my Nutella jar was how my day began. What is it with chocolate spread anyway? How does it get everywhere? I have to be exact and say I have never had Nutella this last month, I'm a cheat, I've been having Nutkao. It was 1 euro cheaper in Switzerland and was supposed to be 50/50 chocolate and hazelnut. This turned out to be another lie as after the first day it melted all the measly 10% of white section stayed at the top. Anyway, as I was saying, it gets everywhere. Yesterday for example, I had just finished enjoying some chocolate spread sandwiches and went to buy a beer from the bar. As I held out my hand to accept the change, there was chocolate spread halfway up my forearm! I'm sure I'm not only one that shares these same views so if you agree, please comment.

I had decided that today would be a "rest day" in the way that I would find a campsite fairly early whatever the cost and have a few beers as I haven't really had a day off in what is approaching a whole month. I found a decent campsite at lunch time just south of Sibenik. I knew it would cost a bit as it had everything and was 4 star but I thought I would just take this as an early birthday present. My birthday isn't until the 27th September but because I have already cycled 4 days ahead of schedule since I started, I worked out that during my birthday I would be deep into mainland Turkey. The chances of there being any people there are slim let alone a bar/holiday resort, and at the moment I'm cycling past them by the bucket load here! This morning I cycled past and got lost in, the best campsite to date. In a place called Biograd was a massive site on the coast and it had everything! I was there at 9am and it was all bars, shops and bakeries. It almost had sand! I'm guessing after thousands of people flocking to it after all these years, their flip flops have eventually ground the rocks down into fine grains that could pass for sand. As it was still very early I didn't choose to stay there but I definitely want to go back there one day. Instead I put 50 hard miles into the wind with aching legs to get to my final destination. Sibernik seemed to take an age to get too and I could feel myself really struggling today so I guess a rest has been due.

I cycled past yet more beautiful little towns although the road today didn't take me along the coast as I had hoped. The terrain turned into large areas of deserted bushes and long grass with the odd town hidden behind them. I was a bit disappointed but at least the road was fairly smooth. The signs here make me laugh. They're specifically aimed at German and English speaking people and they give you all the buzz words that your looking for to either stay the night or stop for a drink. I rode past a campsite that had a BBQ, Show, WIFI and Entertainment, and my favourite establishment was a Cafe, Bar, Disco and Nightclub all in one! As I cycled past roadside restaurants they all seemed to have wood smoked hog roast. It smelt absolutely amazing, I did hold back though and just took a picture instead of the whole pig spinning and sizzling away. I think tomorrow, I won't be so strong willed!

I ended up stopping at Solaris Holiday Resort. It cost me 24 euros which is very steep but like I said, today's my early birthday! I'm going to have a leisurely start tomorrow also and give Nigel a clean as he's been exceptional recently. Over the last few days i've had an urge to really push myself so i've put him in top cog and really gone for it until my thighs burned. I have a disturbing need to put my muscles through unnecessary pain now and again just to push my limits. Probably the reason for this ride as well come to think of it. As I've admired various specimens of beauty, Nigel has taken the odd big hit from a pot hole or speed bump with no troubles at all as well so I think a pampering morning for him is necessary. I took a walk around the campsite sorry resort, it was massive! Had its own map like a theme park, there was a 9 hole course, mini golf, kids pool, adults pool, kids clubs, adults clubs, restaurants, 5 hotels along with the campsite and around 6 different themed beaches. All the beaches had more budgie smugglers than an Indonesian airport and some of the people, well, it look liked they had the same issues as me with there chocolate spread but instead they were just dipped in it! I thought I was getting my tan on but honestly, I purposefully brushed past a guy to see if any rubbed off if looked so much like chocolate!

Unfortunately I was pretty tired so the park was a bit of a waste for me. I was in bed by half 9 and could here the fun and games going on but you just can't get yourself up for anything when your Sundays best outfit is a marble sweat stained saints shirt and some zip off khakis!

Gummi bears for pudding then bed for me I'm afraid, another day another few miles down!

No comments:

Post a Comment