Friday 20 September 2013

My big fat Greek...toilet monster

Thursday 19th September

The highlights and lowlights of the day go down unfortunately to the toilet monsters.

I ended my night last night watching a few night fishers at work on a lovely quite beach and was gently washed to sleep by the noise of the water. I woke up half way through the night by the washing noises in my stomach and had to act fast to prevent any catastrophe occurring. Luckily, the moon was so bright I could see well
enough and with the sea being right in front of me, it made it possible for me to successfully complete an "Asian" clean up and go back to bed.

In the morning it happened again and my good choice of camping spot on the beach meant I was out of eye shot unless you were an early morning truck driver. As bad as I felt, I had produced two satellite stations that worked exceptionally well at keeping flies away from my tent in the middle. 

I set off with a good route along the coast planned towards Kavala that Apostolis told me was beautiful and well worth taking a look around especially for the Greek history. A very straight forward and quiet 40 miles led me to just outside Kavala so I chose to have some food and a rest. After eating a whole bloomer with cheese and tomato and a family packet of crisps I needed a nap on the beach to let the food go down. 

Here's where it begins to get messy. I was ready to go but my stomach was telling me otherwise. The trouble is when I stop cycling and I'm "uncorked" from the saddle, my body starts to play havoc and toilets aren't always readily available. I was lucky to find one about 100m away and during my time in there I heard a standard knock on the door so I gave it the old "busy" and that was that. I still wasn't feeling too good and went back for round two and after that I had constant aggressive knocking on the door! After the third aggressive bout of knocking I opened the door whilst I washing my hands to experience a very short, fat and hairy Greek man shouting at me. He literally pulled me out of the wooden hut and I got the gist he was saying that I wasn't a customer of his "beach bar" so I couldn't use his external wooden hut of a WC! 

I was very calm and did not have energy for any justification of what I was doing, the rules around toilet etiquette and explaining to him the possibility of me going to the bar after the use of the toilet. I really couldn't be bothered with him but nevertheless, a very rude man that in hindsight as always I wish I had shaken his hand with my dirty hand and thanked him for displaying an unbelievable display of rudeness.

Annoyed and still feeling rough, I tentatively got back on Nigel and slowly dragged myself up and down a few coastline hilltops to Kavala. My intentions were to go a lot further today but I pulled into the first campsite I saw. It's probably best I stay in a place I know where the toilet is for at least a night or so.

Pitch was pretty cheap, just 9.50 so i may stay an extra night if i need to. I set the tent up and the toilet monsters hit again. In the toilet safely, and there's no paper, again!!!! Oh come on this is starting to get on my nerves now! I've stopped caring now, ill never see these people again I thought. Clothes were off, bike was just outside luckily, I waited till I heard no noise and then boom. I walked outside completely starkers got my shower stuff from the bag, walked back in and straight in the shower. I didn't see anyone but I don't know if anyone saw me, either way I couldn't care less. I can't even buy paper here so it looks like tomorrow and possibly tonight, ill have to do the same!!!

Shame the day was focussed around the toilet monsters as the ride was pain free and weather beautiful. Just one of those things ill have to deal with. It's going to be hard riding with the monsters, I just hope this phase doesn't last as long as it did in Bali! 16 days will take it all the way to Egypt!

No comments:

Post a Comment