Thursday 12 September 2013

Still Kotor-ing on...just

Tuesday 10th September

It was a good start to the day. A relatively good sleep that would've been a lot better if a car hadn't decided to pull up in the car park for a nice little "look-out" moment. They must've been American because not only is it an "American" thing to do but as they so calmly rolled up to the mountain side the rental car stalled to hault. (They don't do "stick" shifts) After the annoyance of that they then proceeded to fumble around and slam doors that they couldn't get shut which set off my favourite animal of the hour! Not just one dog though, further along the cliff side there must've of been a kennel for homeless barking dogs because they all went absolute berserk! 

After the car drove off I was just left with the dogs but luckily it didn't rain so it could've been a lot worse. As I woke, the storm clouds over the island opposite were chucking down flashes of lightning which was a great way to wake up. I had saved some bread for a standard chocolate spread sandwich breakfast which was affected slightly by the colony of ants in the choc duo pot. I was feeling considerate today so I saved the ones still walking on the surface of the slightly hardened chocolate with bits of spaghetti. Those ants that had unfortunately stepped in the "quick-choc" or that I had accidentally prodded into the "quick-choc" well, they got stirred up and spread on some bread.

Cycling wise it was tough today. Lots of climbs where the ups felt a lot longer than the downs and even the downs weren't that fun due to the wind. It's just not fun having to pedal down hill. Sometimes it feels like you have a parachute on as well as the bags slow you down so much. Due this being the case all day I got really physically tired. The best section of cycling for me was waiting around half an hour at the border to get into Montenegro, they must have caught some diarrhoea tablet smugglers! Still, 10 countries now I thought, this will give me a little boost towards the Bay of Kotor. I have to be honest, if it wasn't for me being so physically drained I will have to say that the Bay of Kotor is absolutely beautiful, you have to see it to believe it and I loved every minute of it. Two thirds of that is true but I combine my tiredness with the fact that from the second Nigel and myself rolled into Montenegro, not 10 seconds went by without a bump in the road, a beep of the horn or a shave with death.

It was a case of out of the frying pan into the hot, noisy, smelly, bumpy fire. Not a quiet road or driver the whole day. I had a fair few near misses today but the worst were from coach tours, 2 cars coming towards me and an ambulance!

Physically drained and mentally drained from concentrating soo much I was given two mighty obstacles today. The first came just after Kotor. Knowing that my destination of Budva wasn't far away (3 maybe 5km I thought) I asked a man how long I had as I had been counting the miles all day which there alone shows you how long and tough my day was. Much to my disappointment he replied with "about 20km" 20km! My head and heart sank, that's at least an hour I thought. To add to this misery I looked at the only route I had to take and it was a 15% incline leading to a tunnel of 1700m. I was literally exhausted, my legs were like cement, my whole body just dripping with sweat and I still had at least an hour and the tunnel-travelator combo to start it with.

I eventually got to the top and thought there is no way I'm going through a mile long dark tunnel roadside with these animals. I began to push Nigel on the pathway and it became quickly apparent that actually the tunnel wasn't too badly lit and if I walked this it would take me absolutely ages. I don't know what song would've came on if I had put my iPod in but it reminded me of that show on Saturdays where normal people got awarded for doing extraordinary things like showing superhuman strength. This is where I needed to show super human this was my "lifting a car off an old lady because the driver has frozen with shock" moment. I found a gap in the traffic, pulled Nigel roadside, jumped on and powered for the daylight. I pumped and pushed as hard as I possibly could hitting 20mph on the flat and staying there for a whole mile, just 3 cars overtook me and as I exited the tunnel it became apparent that all that muscle strain quickly turns into needing a wee so with that i made a quick stop behind a skip but I had done it! My legs had somehow found some extra strength. The road was flat after that but still tough because of the wind and 20kms went past leaving me to complete my final challenge.

This was it, my odometer told me I should be able to see Budva by now but I couldn't because there was a final hurdle. Another tunnel, well lit this time stood in my path. I entered the tunnel motoring and then out of nowhere the lights stopped but the tunnel continued. Have you ever cycled with your eyes closed? I have and that ended badly but this time I found myself doing it again in the darkest of darkness. There were no lights from oncoming cars and I couldn't see the daylight ahead, I could hear the truck behind me as he had followed me into the tunnel. Luckily his headlights came on and I could just make out the corner, around I went an bursting out of the darkness into daylight just like an urban waterslide I was eventually greeted with the sign I have been cycling for 6.5 hours for BUDVA!! I punched the air with relief and exhaustion and let out a little battle cry. At last! I coasted down to the sea front and got my hands on the most deserved beer I feel I have ever worked for. Slumped on the bench, I was a blob of exhaustion. Today was tough. I found a place to camp in an overgrown park between a road and the beach and cooked some dinner there. I didn't really care what I ate as long as it would give me energy. After finishing my food I heard the coughings of an old man. It turns out I was in a good spot for the homeless. I sat there and thought a bit about how people become homeless, thought about alot of things actually and thought also about a few days ago where I had asked to meet someone I could help. It didn't happen then but it was happening now so I walked over and gave him a few paracetamol. I know years ago Chris Harding would never of done that. This ride has already changed me and now I'm noticing the changes more and more often take place. I would go into more detail but maybe ill just save that for later. My thumbs are killing me and I'm still really tired. 

An exhausting day but as always... An important one. 

P.S I hope the old man isn't allergic to paracetamol!

No comments:

Post a Comment