Tuesday 12 November 2013

Calm before the storm

Saturday 2nd November

I woke up early and didn't want to risk staying in bed just incase I couldn't get a ticket in time. After breakfast I headed straight for the ticket office at around half 8. It was closed, luckily I caught the man who was just opening the building and he said "come back at 9 and a half"

So I returned at 9:30 expecting a bundle of people, not a queue, the Africans bundle which I'm comfortable with being a lad and having spent a while in a school playground at the age of 10. To my surprise there was one other person. I paid £30 English and away I went, job done! The next phase of my journey was complete and I had a day of football to celebrate.

I had a few offers of lunch or dinner from the hotel workers which I gratefully declined. I just wanted to watch a bit of football today as I knew I probably wouldn't get the chance in the coming months and as kind as they are in offering, its very hard work to make conversation and I just wanted to relax. I returned back to my regular football showing watering hole where I'm known as "English" (original) and greeted with the terms "lovely jubbly" and "how now brown cow"

I used to like one of the workers there until today when I found out that he almost charged me double last week for my drinks compared to the guy today. Even in bars they just make up the prices!! 

I sat and watched the first game and like last week, it was just myself and around 20 flies enjoying the football. Back on the subject of flies, they don't just sit on your arms or your clothing which wouldn't be too much of a problem. These ones sit on your eyelids and lips!!! They have the whole atmosphere to fly around in but noooo they choose to sit and fly around the most sensitive parts of your body! I tried for a period to have my mouth open and close down on one of them but they're just too annoyingly quick.

A few people started arriving for the "3pm" match. They were probably anticipating watching one of the Manchesters play but I soon scared them off by changing the channel to Stoke vs Southampton. It will probably a very rare occasion when my actions were justified to show the "better team" as I was asked, "where are Southampton ranked?" I said 5th and seeing as that's above all the other teams that were playing they couldn't really argue with me changing the channel.

With this, they left and I watched another game on my own. My ownership on the TV buttons came to an end half way through the third game. Despite it being Arsenal vs Liverpool, I was trumped with Egyptian giants Al Ahly and as I was just slightly outnumbered by around 1:100 (in the bar) I decided to retreat back to the hotel.

Tomorrow I had to get back into adventure mode after an extended rest. Was I ready for it? I would soon find out, but one thing was for sure, I was certainly ready to leave Egypt!

No comments:

Post a Comment