Friday 15 November 2013

Don't bank on it

Wednesday 13th November

This morning I had the best lay in and was quietly woken by a knock on the door just to remind me that there was breakfast waiting for me and I should get there before 10.

Yesterday and the day before I had to painful reject the guys on the side of the road selling watermelon. I got annoyed because I wanted one so much and not only could I have one but I couldn't explain to them and in turn they probably ended up thinking how ride I was for ignoring them. 

As I walked up to the rooftop restaurant, the first thing I saw waiting for me in a lovely breakfast buffet spread was some juicy watermelon. My guy are still in pieces but at least now I have a permenant throne relax on as opposed to finding a bush, a shelter on in a few cases just in the open for everyone to see. That did pose a question when that happened, which way do you face? It had to be facing away, that way I did have to look at all the people but unfortunately for them, they got the "rough" nod of the stick!

After devouring breakfast I was very much at the hands of the manager and when he could get me some money. I was never goin to rush him and it was probably best that I had day of doing nothing as I'm still pretty ill. 

I surfed through 300+ channels to find the 2 English speaking ones. One channel called "top movies" was only 50% accurate with the name so I spent the whole day watching American dramas on the Dubai channel.

The guesthouse is absolutely lovely and as always I felt at home within minutes of being there. There is only myself and a Dutch man staying here at the moment who I met at breakfast and dinner and I have walked around the place as if it was my home. This means as always, it will be hard to leave but its best I get at least one of my jobs sorted tomorrow as Friday has come around quickly again!

I went to see the manager to transfer my money. Natwest are amazingly/annoyingly secure so things didn't go as smoothly as just transferring the money into another account because I needed my card reader to obtain a code in order to make the transfer. The card reader is at home because why would I take it with me and get my card reader and card stolen together! 

I again found myself trying to think quickly about how to solve the issue. Sinada the manager was even more calm then I was and just said, "here's my phone, ring who you want, no problems. Who do we have to ring?" My mother wasn't in but I thought I could solve this without mum's help if I contacted Natwest. Sinada was obviously fine with that and I offered to give him extra for the phone bill but within 20 minutes the deal had been sorted over the phone and Sinada would receive his money tomorrow morning.

As far as me receiving my money, I was in no real rush. I could hardly send Sinada off to the bank straight away so I could get on and get registered and get my visa, I was lucky to be in the position I was in the first place!! Without saying anything Sinada said, "how much do you need?" The man is simply amazing! He had a busy day so he was going to pop to the bank on his way back and all I really wanted to do was return back to the comfort of my room for the day.

In the end, that's exactly what happened and I got a knock on the door at around 7pm from one of the hotel staff who had 300 Sudanese pounds for me which was enough to get registered in Sudan. Perfect, that's tomorrow sorted I thought. I returned back to the comfort of my room and another amazing sleep, no amazing starry sky but I did have a pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment