Monday 18 November 2013

Food for thought

Friday 15th November

I woke up still not feeling 100%, this wasn't a problem because there was nothing that I could day anyway. The sirens and calls for "Alah" rang out which reminded me it was Friday and I was more than happy to stay in the comfort of my room and watch TV.

I left the money for Assad at reception and then hibernated back into my room where I could drink the fridge dry as the prices were the same as the shop! No alcohol of course but I got a decent sugar rush from the coke and fantas.

On my way back to the room I picked up a pizza leaflet for delivery. This was a pure vedge out day and I could've been anywhere in the world which I liked the idea of. Some people may say, "but you were in Khartoum, why didn't you make the most of it?" My answer to that is, "look, I'm still ill, I spend 100% of my day in the mayhem of Africa, I eat, sleep and drink the very dust that the locals do, but today, just for one day, I want a triple decker pizza, 2 litres of fanta and a movie! Plus I was going to go on a wee sightseeing bike ride tomorrow so there!"

I got the pizza and the spot on the box was not red so I got it for free after a little phone call to the take out place. Company policy was that if the hot spot on the box was not red then the pizza was free. At first the man on the phone tried to tell me it was not hot because it was cold outside. I laughed, yeah, maybe in Alaska but I was standing in shorts and t-shirt and that was still two too many garments for my liking, it was 35 degrees!!  "as you like" the man said. Ive heard this a few times, the Sudanese are very docile characters, if your argument is fair they will not attack you back like some of the people from Egypt did. "As you like" they would say as if it was no skin off their nose. 

I sat and shared the pizza with the man from reception. At first I thought he was the pizza guy as he delivered the pizza to my room and was wearing a red polo shirt. I hadn't seen him working in the guesthouse before and we got talking about his life. He had only been in Sudan for a couple of months and was a refugee from Eritrea. He left his family in Eritrea and skipped the border at night time when the guards were sleeping. The coach journey took 3 days across desert and with little food many of the people got ill and some people even die on that journey.

He spoke of the situation in Eritrea and if he goes back he will undoubtedly get jailed (due to the government I am assuming, not because he has committed any crimes...). I've heard a lot of these stories now and its absolutely terrible. Its not that I am numb to it but I feel now that nothing much will shock me. It only makes me so thankful for my situation. I try to ask "what can they do?" Some people are defeatists and it doesn't matter whether you come from England or Eritrea, you can still look at the glass half empty. This man wasn't like that obviously, he took a huge risk for a better life and he's still stuck! Out of the frying pan into fire for even the most positive people. He was educated in leisure and tourism, so he's not stupid, willing to do any work, so not lazy and still stuck. 

Some people say Africa is cursed, and in many ways it seems it is but most the people inside have done nothing to do deserve it and those that do try, risk their lives unnecessarily and may still end up with nothing. The difference between myself and the good people I've met in Africa is purely just where we popped out on Earth and all they're trying to do is find a better life because surely that's what we all want. 

That's what is hard about hearing these stories. Meeting the kindest most generous people and comparing them to the most selfish and ignorant people back home makes me sick and upset but unfortunately completely helpless. What it does more than any book or speech can do though is inspire me and change me to be a better person. I am living the best and most valuable lesson in life and I thank God for every second I am alive.

You can watch comic relief and you can see the standard heart wrenching adverts on TV and you may even give a couple of quid and feel good for a minute. The truth is that that couple of quid bizarrely is doing more hurt than good in my eyes and it sounds nuts but until you actually see Africa for yourself you will never understand the deep issues within.

I'm not saying don't give the money, I'm saying, experience Africa first, let yourself experience the people, change for the better as a person because nobody's perfect and then you may be able to think of a better way to use that couple of quid. NGO's and organisations like Kick 4 Life and SCORT install morals and systems that help Africa grow and develop and not beg and expect.

The value of coming out here and realigning the way I think and live has been priceless compared to sitting at home and texting a number on the bottom of the screen.

After the pizza I went to bed. I was happy I made the effort again to chat. I didn't catch his name unfortunately but I think he enjoyed the pizza too. Anything is better than Ful and I'm sure it was a pleasant break from the norm, as it was for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment