Sunday 19 January 2014

Follow Rafiki...

Wednesday 15th January

This morning i was woken up by the cleaner knocking on the front gate. Every Wednesday the cleaner comes, I think its human nature to not like being in the house when the cleaner is about. It always feels very awkward as 1. You don't want to get in their way, 2. You don't want them to see your face and vice versa when they clock the mountain of dishes on the kitchen side for the first time and 3. You don't want to make any more mess whilst you're standing in front of them.

The house wasn't that messy but due to this and because it was yet another beautiful morning, we took the table and chairs outside and had breakfast in the garden. In the garden is where we sat for the rest of the morning. Team Norway were writing up their experiences to date to send back to Norway and together we discussed the best ways to use some money that the Norwegians have for fundraising schemes.

In light of our previous meetings we also talked about the best ways to get the kids involved. The adults are clearly going to be hard work in some areas but if we could attract the enthusiasm of a few special young adults then we can be a little more confident that TWOMOC will continue to be self sufficient after we've gone. I really want to meet the players as well so we are hoping to go and catch a session on Friday evening. After my coaches work shop on Sunday my next aim is to talk to the players and possibly do a session when my collarbone recovers.

We stayed outside for lunch and i happily watched time go by, the sun flow across the sky and Tiger and Bones, Team Norway's dogs, run around in the garden. We decided that the weather warranted a BBQ and so myself and Malin walked down to the shop to grab some coal. We made a BBQ out of a few random breeze blocks and the rack from the oven and within the hour the coals were glowing and kebabs were cooking.

I was looking forward to checking out Rafiki's tonight. When you've been cycling alone for 5 months its always nice to do the things you enjoy when you're around friends and that for me is experiencing the nightlife. My limited wardrobe means I can hardly wade through a selection of outfits to get dressed up and feel smart in. Making myself smart goes about as far as wetting my beard and zipping the legs back onto my cargo shorts. I applied aftershave by rolling deodorant on my neck and the issue of hair was solved by my new hat. I was living proof that cycle touring isn't meant to be glamorous and its very hard to feel clean and fresh even with sure for men on your neck. Tonight I would feel fresher though, as tonight the guys had a surprise for me. They had some spare T-shirts lying around so for the first time in 5 months I could wear something different. 

My chosen top was a blue and white horizontal striped t-shirt which gave Team Norway a barrel of laughs as I walked the streets of Nakuru looking like an injured pirate. We had a great night and just sitting and watching Africans dance is a show in itself. They dance like they have no bones and I thought I would let the locals take centre stage just this once. It was probably best to sit it out tonight although i grabbed enough attention as i moonwalked to the toilet. We made friends with a solo traveller from Australia (typically) an throughout locals came and went.

The highlight of the night had to be giving the Tuktuk driver a dual-languaged rendition of Lion King's circle of life with Malin singing in Norwegian and myself belting out the English high notes. Torbjoern sensibly kept quiet and focused on giving the driver directions and probably apologised throughout.

Another good day/night and what I can justify as being a cultural experience....for the tuk tuk driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment