Monday 27 January 2014

No showcoaches

Tuesday 21st January

Some fragile heads were wandering around this morning however I felt ok. I enjoyed myself last night but didn't end up like Philip or T-man which was probably a good job too as last night's Fort Boyard/Swan lake impression in the toilet would've ended up more like "Its a knockout."

Despite their fuzzy heads the lads still managed to get up, be out of the house and into town by 12. I had a few things to do that needed the Internet so left the guys at the regular cafe of choice and ticked off a couple of "life maintenance" jobs.

I returned back to the cafe where the guys were still sat and had lunch. Malin went shopping, Philip went looking for cheaper food to keep to his already impressive "couch surfer" budget which makes my £10 a day budget look like a high roller. I've had to break my budget whilst being here with Team Norway because otherwise I would find myself sat like a dog with my plain noodles watching Team Norway devour quality feasts. I can't do that and so i will just have to counteract what i enjoy now with discipline later.

Time seemed to fly by today and when Malin was finished shopping it was almost time to meet TWOMOC  at the football pitch. Torbjoern went back to the house with Malin and the shopping and myself and Philip walked down to the football fields. Training is supposed to start at 5pm so the four of us aimed to get there at half past as we know how timing works in Kenya.

Myself and Philip arrived at 5:15 to find no coach and about 8 players playing piggy in the middle. Team Norway turned up just after and I have to say I was a bit annoyed. When you've just done a workshop that focused on planning and being time conscience and we had arranged a meeting for today and there was no coach, then it makes you question the commitment in TWOMOC. I could say that this is not my problem, not turn up at all and let TWOMOC do what they want. I'm in a position where its very easy to give up on these people as some of their negativity and lack of effort builds huge barriers. I don't want to do that though and although there's a lot to do to turn TWOMOC into a sustainable and successful football team that helps the kids of Nakuru, its not exactly hard work, it just requires better communication and effort.

I can't be too outspoken as I don't want to jeopardise Team Norway's chances for any sort of participation in the future, so when Hillary and Aggray turned up either side of 6 o'clock I just questioned if there was anything wrong? The coach's that we were expecting were Night and Asha so we couldn't exactly get annoyed with Hillary and Aggray as A. They had turned up (albeit an hour late) and B. The team that was training wasn't even theirs! 

There was no excuse (Night and Asha are unemployed and neither Hillary or Aggray had spoken to them) and so for around half an hour we endured the most painful conversation that consisted of a lot of noise without any questions of ours being answered. This folks, is Kenya (as I'm seeing it). A culture clash in where we ask a direct question and we get given a reply that bears no relevance to anything. Not only that but there are 3 second pauses between most sentences and so if you have an attention span like I have, listening to one paragraph can take every ounce of patience and attention.

We didn't stay long, we re-organised the meeting for tomorrow night where were assured we would have all the information for Sunday and all the coach's would be present and on time. After that we left to get some dinner. My disappointed mood was soon cheered up by a steak on a hot plate and not only was it very cheap (about £3) but tasted pretty good too. I also craved some ugali which I never thought I would say after the first time of having it but I ate it and it brought back fond Christmas memories. (I also didn't think I would ever say that!)

Tomorrow I'm going to see the doctor to see what he says about my recovery. I know I'm going to be out of action for at least another week and then after that I will just have to see what he says.



No comments:

Post a Comment