Monday 27 January 2014

Karibu Kenya

Friday 24th January

I was up early today to get my hospital visit over and done with as soon as possible. The cut has healed now but there is just a little hole that bleeds slightly so they dressed it again but I will return Monday for the last time and I shouldn't have to get it dressed again.

The four of us had lunch which proved to be Philip's last meal. It was nice to hear his great stories but in the end I think Team Norway had had enough and Philip's welcome of a "couple of days" was slightly overstayed. After all, they were already housing one traveller from the street and I think Philip's brash ability to help himself to everything really took the biscuit...

He was a very interesting guy though, it takes a brave person to do what he was doing and he's given me some great travel ideas for the future.

At 2pm we visited Kenya's first and only talent academy. After my workshop on Sunday we were approached by the CEO of Kenya Sports and Talent School (KSTS) and invited to visit and see the work they are doing there. The school was just a short Tuktuk ride from our home and so we decided to check it out. 

When we arrived we were immediately welcomed with open arms and made to feel at home. The school had around 40 pupils but had only been open for 2 months. The plot of land was huge with so many buildings. The majority of the buildings were not in use but the school has some unbelievable potential. The CEO showed us around the classes that were in progress like art and crafts, drama, music and football. The subjects they offer are mainly practical and there are digs for students that live there. We were introduced to every student and member of staff and everybody seemed so nice.

The CEO seemed like a very good guy also, he was currently sponsoring all the boarders out of hi own pocket. He showed us around and we got the idea that he thought we were prospective sponsors. We soon told him that we weren't in any position to give money but were interested instead in teaching. If it wasn't for my ride I could definitely see myself working there. The whole campus had a great feel and its vision seems like a very exciting thing to be part of. Malin has a music degree so she was interested in getting involved in that subject and Torbjoern's focus is on getting kids off the street which Lawrence, the CEO said was his next proposed step for the school.

I was expecting just a quick walk around the campus and a goodbye but instead we were paraded like royalty and were treated to two plays from the drama department and songs and dancing from the music department.

The three of us were sat plum in front of all the pupils like X Factor judges and I really enjoyed every minute of it. Very surreal, but very enjoyable. I was experiencing real African education and both plays had great morals relative to Kenyan life that the students will eventually perform to students all around Nakuru. 

The music students sang some African songs for us and I felt myself developing a cheesy grin that stuck for most of the day. I had to pinch myself at one point, I was in Kenya, watching Kenyan students sing Kenyan songs and I had got here by bike! This school was everything I expected Kenya to be and the three of us were so happy we made the effort to visit.

Lawrence gave us a lift into town and during the car journey we invited him for a drink before we were due to go shopping. He accepted and for the next few hours we got to know him a bit more and had a really good chat. It's horrible to say but the dirty truth is that Kenyans are hard to trust because experience shows that they are only after the white person for their money. Kenyans in positions of power are even harder to trust but innocent until proven guilty and all that and Lawrence's ideas and views seem really positive. The three of us loved the school so much that we organised to teach for a day next tuesday in our areas of expertise. We also agreed to see Lawrence's other, more established college and then have dinner with his family on Wednesday.

Within a couple of hours we had almost filled our week! Its a real shame that just as I'm settling in and creating a lot of very good contacts, I will be saying goodbye but that's the nature of travelling unfortunately.

We grabbed some food and put close on a great day. I could sense Team Norway had a new found buzz for Kenyan life and people. Recent days have proved quite strenuous for the two of them as they have had to deal with some not very nice Kenyans. With Tuesday and Wednesday planned and the market clean up with TWOMOC on Sunday planned, Team Norway have at last got some positive things to look forward too and its all helping them with there cultural exchange. For me, I'm just loving the ride and if I can help in areas that a few days ago I didn't know existed, then what can I say...it's just meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment