Monday 27 January 2014

The waiting game

Wednesday 22nd January

I left for the hospital at around 9. They didn't allow me to book a time, they just told me to turn up. I don't know whether this is the case for every doctor but for my guy in particular, I just had to hope he would be free when I arrived. 

I was intending on a bit of a wait but thankfully the doctor was in and he was free so I got checked over after 5 minutes of waiting. The doctor did some internal stitches and a few external ones so the scar in the end would be just a clean line. Unfortunately a couple of the external stitches had come loose a few days ago in my sleep and so instead of a clean healed line, I have a bit of an open hole that is still yet to heal properly.

I'm covered in scars from a variety of unfortunate events from an injury on an inflatable penguin to a failed downstairs "sledding" attempt on a pack of 24 toilet rolls. My mate says "chicks dig scars" but when I reveal the true story of my scars, I come across more of a dumbo than a hero. This scar will just add to the many but i will take it as a positive reminder of my ride and everything I've experienced, instead of an unfortunate front flip thanks to a Kenyan Lorry driver.

I got the cut properly dressed and was told that because my collarbone wasn't a simple break and I had shattered it, that it was best that I wait at least 4 weeks, and even then I should still be careful. I don't have to get another x-ray until after the complete healing process of 8 weeks so I will have to figure that out in Tanzania.

Having to wait is a bit of a bummer but I really don't want to break it again. I have to be very strict in letting it heal and so the doctor advised me that I should do absolutely nothing with my arm apart from keeping it in a sling. I need to go back to the hospital on Friday and again on Monday to redo my dressing and then that should be it. The hospital gave me some antibiotics to take home with me, I hardly think there necessary considering I haven't taken any since I broke it but hey-ho.

I returned back to Team Norway to give them the news and they were the best. "No more washing up either then, you can stay here and relax for as long as you need, its totally fine" Torbjoern said. Thanks to Team Norway I can relax and I have no worries about the recovery time. My main issue now is how I'm going to complete the ride in time. I have money restraints and an important occasion to attend in May so I need to aim to finish before May ideally. I don't particularly want to change my route so I'm looking at having to complete around 4000 miles in just over 2 months. 

This is doable, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge and now my ride is taking yet another angle and becoming a bit of a race against time. If I still want to stay a few days at my chosen organisations then I'm going to have to put even more effort into the cycling. I'm not one to turn down a challenge as after all, a challenge is why I find myself recovering from a shattered collar bone in the middle of Kenya! I just need to ensure I'm rested and recovered enough to get back on the road with confidence.

As it was another beautiful day in Nakuru I continued my recovering outside in the garden. Team Norway were working on an article for their local newspaper back home. They have included my ride and charity work in their article so this means myself, Beirdre and Nigel have got ourselves into newspapers from 3 different countries.

For dinner we had another BBQ which was our best to date. It's good to see that we are learning from our previous mistakes and BBQs are getting increasingly better and incident free. We met up with TWOMOC at 6 o'clock and I was happy to see everybody there. There were also three teams so we got to speak to at least 50 players.

During the meeting I had a new found confidence in the possible success of Sunday and in the coaches of TWOMOC. Despite their poor time keeping and communication with each other, its clear to see they are well respected by their players. Whether this is down to the coaches or just some very good players I probably won't be around long enough to tell but at least there are good people to work with for Team Norway.

The time of Sunday was still not confirmed so we still couldn't guarantee Sunday's go ahead with the players, we just told them to be free for it. We are also hoping gloves and bin bags will be available as TWOMOC can use the money from my workshop to provide this. Team Norway are going to pay for the collection buckets and so with some confident young players to spread the word of the clean up and a few small things that can be sorted very easily, Sunday should hopefully be the first of many successful fundraisers for TWOMOC.

After the meeting I was in a good mood and we had organised to meet up for a few drinks with Nick the Australian from last week. We met him at his hotel along with 4 more of his colleagues. It felt strange but great to go for a few drinks with a group of people. Just over 3 weeks ago I was on a solo adventure crossing the border from Ethiopia to Kenya and tonight here I was in a group of 8 people from 5 different countries, having a few drinks on a night out. 

We had a good night, no lion king to finish but still a good night. I'm pretty sure tomorrow has movie day written all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment