Monday 13 January 2014

Teamwork makes a Dreamwork

Friday 10th January

Today began with a movie. I didn't sleep very well as the pain killers soon rubbed off and I had a constant throb of aching in my shoulder. Breakfast was made by Malin this morning and i felt guilty just lying in the lounge as she made noises around the kitchen. Due to this I wanted to establish a routine and a system that can work well.

As a trio, Team Norway cooks and I wash up. I know I'm meant to rest but I can wash up whilst sitting down and still keep my arm supported on the sink. Malin and Torbjoern are so laid back and have agreed to this and words cant really explain how much this has really helped me. The two of them had to go into town for a meeting so I stayed and washed up and went shopping for a few things needed for dinner. The supermarket is a convenient 5 minute walk from the house and I took the time to enjoy and soak in what it's like to do everyday tasks in Nakuru.

I wanted to buy a hat as my hair is becoming as wild as the animals. Shopping for clothes in Africa is great, you can find some really rare styles and obviously all of it is dirt cheap compared to home. This is perfect for me as i don't like to wear the same as everyone else and i love a bargain. When the three of us roam the streets we hardly struggle for attention, Torbjoern taking the majority to due his uncanny likeliness to Jesus. I have been "relegated" to Moses but I feel now I have a new "white trash" look with my sling and camouflage print safari hat. Malin calls it a tourist hat but I'm sure she enjoys being able to fly under the radar and avoid unwanted attention.

The work situation for Team Norway has hit an unfortunate low. The organisation they have been transferred to help is called TWOMOC (The walkers of ministers of Christ). This organisation has two areas, the drop in centre for street kids which is under-performing and the football team that has 4 teams and many members of staff.
They are currently in a situation where things aren't really getting done and production isn't as good as it could be. They've confessed this is due to the communication between both parties and so today they were going to have a meeting with the local football team and all its committee members on what can be done.

The Norwegians are more than happy to do anything they can to help raise funds for the four teams in Nakuru but they will not just give the Kenyans money. In my eyes, this is spot on. If the people in these areas continue to rely on foreigners for aid then they will never ever become self sufficient and the problems that I have experienced throughout the whole of Africa will never be resolved. The Norwegians are offering their expertise and experience in finding ways to raise money and help TWOMOC become self sufficient. (in the same way SCORT work back in switzerland) 

With regards to the football team, ideally the Norwegians need someone that has worked in the footballing business who knows how foundations and charities work. They also need to know how to raise awareness for certain events and need someone who can offer the local team knowledge that will be invaluable in the future.

I wonder where the Norwegians could find this person?

It seems meant to be. I offered myself for whatever they needed and when Malin and Torbjoern returned from the meeting I could tell that they were really happy. They told the organisation all about me and what I could offer and the committee members of the Nakuru team want to meet me and use me as soon as possible. This is fantastic news. I'm so happy to help give back to Team Norway and assist their work here and obviously happy to help another organisation in Kenya.

The plan was to meet on Monday and go from there so something tells me that this weekend could consist of a few celebrations. We had a few beers just at home and relaxed after dinner. 

It seems I will not be left twiddling my thumbs and I can't wait to help TWOMOC as it seems there is a lot can be done. The issue will be, where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment