Thursday 23 January 2014

Philip philop phun

Monday 20th January

Compared to other days, our schedule was jam packed today with 2 things pencilled in. We had planned yesterday to meet the players after football training tonight and tell them about Sunday's clean up fundraiser. We also had another visitor coming to stay with us from the couch surfing website.

Myself and T-man are both members of couch surfing which is a traveller's website and you basically either host or get hosted by a variety of different people in countries all over the world.

I've never bothered contacting anyone through couch surfers as that would still be classed as a plan for me but it is a great way to get accommodation for free. Philip from Germany contacted Torbjoern on Saturday and so Team Norway are playing host to another random traveller for however long. Philip has been hitchhiking through Ethiopia, Somalia and Djibouti and was hitchhiking today from Nairobi so we weren't sure what time he would arrive.

As it happened, he turned up when we were having lunch and so we did introductions and general chit chat at home before we were due to go down to the football field. Philip is 24 and a well travelled guy with some great stories and as expected, very easy going and not afraid of making himself at home. I thought I was good at inviting myself to homes and parties etc but Philip has opened my eyes to what really is pushing the boundaries to "self-helping"

It started to rain quite heavily so we rung one of the coaches to see if the training was still on. I'm sure rain wouldn't affect the kids at all but I was questioning the coaches commitment more than anything. Sure enough the meeting was moved to tomorrow which left us open to give Philip a proper greeting and show him a few local watering holes.

Two Norwegians, a German and an Englishman walked into a bar could be the start to a typical playground joke but we didn't need long winded jokes to have laughs, we had a language barrier and misunderstandings that would do just fine. The night began with a funny misunderstanding where apparently white albino's are wanted for their horns, this set the standard for a night that continued with numerous humorous quotes.

We ate at Gilani's where Team Norway took me for the first time exactly two weeks ago and then replicated the bars we went to as well. The same guys were at the bar and they were all very happy to see us again. My night ended with a trip to the toilet which was more like something out of the crystal maze. 

I realise it's been a while since I've talked about my toilet habits. I've not been taking it for granted that's for sure but I was certainly kept on my toes with this one. As it was nearing closing time the kind staff at the pub had cleaned the toilets and then chained and padlocked all the cubicles.

I tend to leave going to the toilet till the last minute, I don't see how people can go and sit and wait for nature to slowly take its course. I like to live on the edge in everything i do and hope that I won't encounter any last minute obstacles en route. Waiting for a minute or so if the cubicles are full is normally not a problem and i can even survive adding extra time for a complicated belt and button combination without any embarrassing accidents. However ask yourself this, is it fair to give a man in a sling with limited movement, a ring of 20 keys to unlock one of 3 dodgy padlocks that locks the cubicle to a hole in the ground. To add to this Crypton Factor, the hole is surrounded by wet floor and I'm wearing flip flops!

No, its not fair is it.

I'm proud to say I completed the task with no problems at all but if it wasn't for a lucky guess on the keys and stable legs as I pirouetted around the hole, then things could've been disastrous.

When we got home Philip went straight to bed, having the first few beers in a month seemed to have got to him and myself and Team Norway finished a good day off with a movie. 
Hopefully tomorrow we can meet up with the coaches and players and sort the organisation for Sunday. I really hope its a success but all the signs are saying otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment