Friday 3 January 2014

Given the go ahead

Sunday 29th December

Another sticky night with a cool morning breeze set me up for another day in "Jail camp Todenyang" I call it a jail camp but not in a negative way because I'm enjoying the experience. For the officers though, they don't particularly like it because unlike me, they have to stay here. Isaac said that this camp is where they send the bad officers or the majors who have lacked discipline in some cases in order to punish them and get them back onto the straight and narrow. Its like police rehab!!

It doesn't really matter what type of meal you're eating as long as the ingredients give you energy. This was justified by my chicken and ugali breakfast. (You could say its just like eating last nights kebab!) Despite the very simple meals its good to have the bare ingredients and not have any way of snacking on junk in between meals. They should send overweight people here, it would be boring to watch them do nothing all day but they would certainly sweat off all their excess weight.

After breakfast we chatted as always and its amazing how much I know about the guys and they know about me now. 5 days of pure conversation is a refreshing change from having to say the same information about my trip to every stranger I meet in the street. These boys had progressed beyond strangers and I now know everybody's daily routine so I could fit my showers etc in between theirs.

We've covered all the family and friends information and hobbies etc and so I got their brains working with a few teasers. What gets wetter the more it dries? And what goes up when rain comes down? helped pass a good hour of searing heat. As the boys struggled with those i took the time to do my standard, listen to music and think up more adventures. Whenever I'm away from home I think of things I want to do when I get back that I didn't do enough when I was home. I have a terrible tendency to slip into the lifestyle of mundane 9to5 living so to fight this i have previously set things to do each month. I have a whole new list to tick off now for when I'm back and I hope to include friends with some of them as some adventures aren't always that good alone.

I very much enjoyed the large portion of rice and beans for lunch. Antonio is scared of rice and pasta and much prefers ugali as he feels he will get fat with the other two so gave me some of his. My body is not at all fussy about what goes in it as long as it stays inside for as long as possible but I have a strong plan to maintain my current shape and work positively on it and not return back to the ever increasing form that I was not completely aware of until I looked back recently at my first day photos.

The pictures show a huge difference, especially in my face. It's a bit harder to imagine the real shape of my face at the moment as Beirdre is becoming ever prominent. My head is big anyway but now its massive in all my photos. I look like a used lollipop that has been left down the side of the sofa. Skinny white body with a bulbous head covered in patches of fluff!

After lunch the highlight of mine and Antonio's conversation was working out how tall we were. I found a tape measure in my sewing kit and discovered that I'm 6ft exactly and he's half an inch shorter than me. (My barnet helped) But there you go, quite riveting ay? After this the major got a phone call from the head of police, they were given the all clear to drive to Lodwar tomorrow, that was my lift!

I got straight to packing as the driver wanted to leave at 2am. I wasn't sure how long it would take but getting into Lodwar the earlier the better was fine by me.

Tonight's dinner would be my last supper and what better way then to celebrate it with goat. Goat's intestines to be exact, with ugali. It's actually not as bad as it sounds and Isaac treated me with my favourite drink to date to finish the meal off nicely, ginger tea.

I said a few goodbyes and went off to bed. Antonio was coming with me to Lodwar but we were leaving Isaac back at the camp. This ride is a fickle beast sometimes, in such a short space of time you can really enjoy certain people's company but the nature of the ride means that chances of meeting again are very slim. We will stay in contact for sure and the best thing I can do is take the lessons I've learnt from such great people and live with them from now on.

Lodwar tomorrow, the journey continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment