Wednesday 15 January 2014

Tuesday Cruesday


Tuesday 14th January

Today the guys had a meeting at 10 so we were up fairly early compared to previous days. I had to print off my accident form for the insurance company so I went into town with the guys and we agreed to meet up for lunch.

I had a great start to the day. Form printed, filled and sent all by 10:30 meant I could Skype home quickly before everyone left for work. I set up camp outside where we had dinner last night. The sun was shining, my new addition was doing a fine job in keeping the sun off my face and I positioned myself perfectly to watch the world go by.

I had a nice quick chat on Skype with the family but typical average quality connection meant I had to just assume that the pixelated blob crawling around and making noise was indeed my 10 month old niece and not anything else.

The guys messaged me to say they were going to be a bit late and a beer maybe necessary. They were having a meeting with the boss of the drop-in centre that they are here to help as well as TWOMOC and as I've touched on in previous posts, things aren't going that smoothly over there. Their meetings with that boss seem to be a lot more painful and hard work than our one yesterday.

They arrived for lunch annoyed and fed up and I could understand why when you consider they've been saying the same thing for 4 months now and nothing has changed because the Boss is "one of those guys " 

I'm not getting involved with this one but I would like to see the drop in centre and compare it with the others I've seen. Maybe that will wait till next week! 

After a good lunch and a good shop we headed back home to soak in the sun. Surprisingly it was the first time I've sunbathed properly since Europe and my tan lines are as shocking as my hair. Days seem to fly by in Nakuru and before we knew it it was dark and we were still sat outside chatting. In true "Home Improvement" fashion, a random couple of heads popped over the garden wall to say hello. The neighbourhood is very friendly and we invited the two guys Jimmy and George around for a chat and a beer. One thing I've learnt is that Kenyans don't say no to a beer, especially if you've offered it and we had a good laugh before they headed back and we headed inside for dinner.

The mozzys came out again and I'm rueing my decision to get rid of my football socks back in Addis Ababa. My ankles are a Goldmine for mozzys it seems and I'm paying the price for replacing my football socks with a pair of trainer socks and a pair of thin ones that are equally as useless at protecting my ankles.

I was quite touched tonight when Torbjorn confessed that I was the best thing that could've happened to the two of them. We laughed and confirmed this was in relation to their job, then I questioned how much he'd been drinking but it was certainly the best compliment I've received from a fine Norwegian Viking like he is. It's nice to not feel like a burden and more like an asset when in an extraordinary/unfortunate situation  as I find myself in now.

After a decent feed it was time to put close on another day with a movie. Tomorrow is Wednesday...our day off. Last week I was really looking forward to Wednesday night as Team Norway promised me a few drinks in Rafiki's, Nakuru's hip and happening discotheque and guaranteed only place to party on a Wednesday. However, last week I found out that my collar bone was in three pieces and so instead of cutting shapes and letting loose, I was cut open and tied back together.

Tomorrow's intended dance move will naturally be the robot but for now I will have to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment